Friday, August 8, 2014

Behind the scenes with Mitch

So I was trying to come up with a fun way to share what goes on in my life as it relates to wine, beer, and spirits (and perhaps a slight smattering of other stuff). Since I'm not a huge fan of typing and a picture is worth 1000 words I figured I'd share a few snapshots that provide a behind the scenes look at what happens inside and outside of Ancona's Wines. Each image will have a sentence or two describing what it is and why I thought it was interesting. Feel free to share your images with me, as well! You can send them to mitch_ancona@anconaswines.com or message me on instagram via www.instagram.com/anconaswines.

 
1 - It was my daughters B-day the other day. We got the family together and lit a few fireworks off. This is just a quick "Happy Birthday" to all you wonderful Leos out there.


 
2 - I don't read much. Not that I don't like to. I just never capture the time to do it. Anyway, a friend dropped off a copy of "Inspiring Thirst" by Kermit Lynch. This got me motivated to try to read everyday, even if only for 30 minutes. I started with Kermit's first book "Advetures On The Wine Route" (my second time reading this one, if you're a fan of wine it's a must read) I'm on my 6th day in a row stealing the time. Click here to peruse some of our selections imported by Kermit Lynch.


 
3 - My new neighbors are now officially open.

4 - Summer of Riesling is still in full swing. The other night I was working late enjoying Pikes "Hills and Valleys" Riesling '13 from Clare Valley Australia. Classic Riesling with slight petrol on the nose, evocative fruit richness that is supported by brisk acidity. Click here to check out our "Summer Of Riesling" selections.

 
5 - I enjoyed Foolproof Brewing Companies  "Backyahd IPA" on tap at the Little Pub the other night. We've been selling a ton of it (along with their 4 other styles), worth a try if you're a craft beer fan.


 
6 - I'm a big fan of documentaries. This one, "Hey Bartender", was really enjoyable while being really informative. Tells the history of "cocktails" also focuses on "craft cocktails"  looking at the passionate people behind this popular movement. If you're into this kind of stuff, check out the movies Somm and Red Obession.


 
7 - Staff meeting the other night. We always taste through some new selections. Richou Les "D" en Bulles NV (sparkling wine from Loire (Chard, Chenin) great substitute for Prosecco), Dominique Lafon Bourgogne Blanc '11 (simply stellar wine from one of the best producers in Burgundy), Vincent Caille Cot '12 (a different face for Malbec, try it if you want to explore past Argentina's offerings of the uber popular variety), Capcanes Mas Donis '12 (94 points in the Wine Advocate, we all agreed that for $15 it's a steal!), Frank Cornelissen Munjebel 5 (this is OUT THERE.... but I love it (see below).... we're always tasting, evaluating and adding new, exciting wines to our inventory. Last month we added 80 new wine gems for you to experience. Click here to check out out latest additions.


 
8 - Munjebel 5 in the glass. Don't fear the floaties. This unfiltered wine is famous for  it's cloudy appearance that always throws sediment. This wine is like a time machine. I imagine the wine that was consumed by the Romans tasted just like this. Not your everyday sipper, but a fascinating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment