Saturday, February 7, 2015

Mitch's Musings: Wine week, Two in a Row!

I'm on a roll?
Hmmm.... two weeks in a row.... Trying to keep it short and sweet... Enjoy!

Join us next Week (Feb 11th) @ Gallo Ristorante
Our first wine dinner with Gallo Ristorante reunites us with chef extraordinaire (and friend), Raffaele Gallo. Tasty food treats paired with newly found wine gems from the homeland (Italy) all at a "won't break the bank" price. Contact Gallo Ristorante to reserve your table. 203.431.7726  See you there!

On the topic of tasting events... Join Codey for an exciting look the best vinos to share with your sweetheart on Valentine's Day. Our "Valentine's Vinos" tasting is this Thursday, February 12. The line up includes sensational sparkling wines, ravishing reds, irresistible whites, and sumptuous dessert wines. Call (203)544-8958 or e-mail monique@anconaswine.com to reserve your spot today.


(The group @the Annex Tuesday night, the wines)
Pop-Up Tasting Re-Wind
AKA- meet the winemaker
In 2015 we started a new series of events called "Pop-Up Tastings". They happen on short notice when we find out a winemaker we like will be in town. Our last "Pop-Up" was this past Tuesday. Giuseppe Vaira from G.D.Vajra tasted and talked through his wine creations for a lucky group of clients. I liked them all, but the stand out of the night was his modestly priced Barolo "Albe" 2010. It's every thing a great Barolo should be. Its slightly softer edges make it as approachable as a warm couch on a snowy day. Stay tuned for our next "Pop-Up" tasting date....


Long Day Of Discoveries
Codey and I took a road trip this past Wednesday. We stopped at two of our favorite wholesalers to taste through some of their wines that needed a little love. 60+ wines later (over 9 hours) we found 11 that we loved so much that we bought the rest of the inventory. These hidden gems will land in our store early March. Bottom line: killer wines at great prices. I'll keep you posted as they arrive. Oh yeah, since we bought all of the inventory we also took the open sample bottles for our staff to "devour".

About Time
We just got our first shipments from Left Hand Brewing and Troeges Brewing Company this week. Now I won't have to drive over to Vista to get them for myself.


  3 Must Try Wines That Arrived This Week
Breggo Riesling- I know, you don't like Riesling.... this Cali version might just change your mind... Crisp to the n'th degree, super dry with fresh lemon/lime fruit notes
Von Winning "I" Sauvignon Blanc- SB from Germany....reminds me a little of  a great Sancerre... only better!
Bertani "Secco-Bertani" Original- Based on a recipe from 1888 (hence original), Corvina aged in cherry and chestnut casks.... A taste of history... a really good, soft, supple, complex tasting history.
 
 Birth Year Bubbly
Ironically, I find myself in other wine shops from time to time playing the role of customer. I came across this little gem the other day.... I couldn't pass it up. Best $20 I spent this week. (If you look at the top of the image you'll see the fill line is really, really low.... hence the $20 price tag) Will I open it this year for my "52 Weeks Of Bubbly" project? Stay tuned...

until next week......
If you have any questions about any of these images or questions about wine, beer, music, raising children, training puppies, algebra or spirits please do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me by phone at (203)544-8958 or e-mail mitch_ancona@anconaswines.com. Please, share your images  with me! You can send them to mitch_ancona@anconaswines.com or message me on instagram via www.instagram.com/anconaswines.

No comments:

Post a Comment