Monday, July 30, 2012

Wine Review: 2009 Owen Roe Sinister Hand: In Love Again

 
















I’m such a sucker for Grenache... I’m even more of a sucker for Rhone-style blends. What can I say, I wear my palate on my sleeve and am easily woo-ed by these suave characters. 2009 Owen Roe Sinister Hand fits this criteria and, like most bottles of wine I enjoy, disappear too quickly. The 2009 Sinister Hand is predominantly a blend of Grenache and Syrah with a tiny bit of Mourvedre and Counoise. Well-balanced and smooth, its supple fruit and refined tannins make this wine an absolute pleasure to drink. Are you weak in the knees yet? No? Okay, I’ll go on... Its firm structure allows the succulent, fruit driven qualities of this wine to really shine. I picked up on some red and black fruit on the palate (strawberry, raspberry, black cherry) and an herbaceous-spiced-earthiness on the finish. Despite the name, Sinister Hand is quite nice. It is rich and elegant in the most masculine of ways. Ah yes, I think I am in wine-love again... ~Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment